Friday, April 6, 2012

Art for the Philosophy Playing Card Decks



I wanted to give you the idea I had for the art of the playing card decks. For me, art is an important part of any game, providing the body for the concept and gameplay. Everyone is familiar with poker playing cards, and so adding something artistic for this philosophic theme is crucial. For the art, I chose to find what I thought were the most common or characteristic portraits of the philosophers (for recognition purposes), and then I drew them in a slightly cartoonish style. I chose to add color to the drawings, with each color introduced having both a light and dark shade. Hegel shown above is my first, generally finished art piece to exhibit (it still will be tweeked somewhat). I have finished the line drawings for all of the continental philosophers and I am in the process of adding color to them. What do you think of this style? Just looking for some feedback before I move ahead.

Here are 4 others that I just finished: Martin Heidegger, Soren Kierkegaard, F. W. J. Schelling, and Emmanuel Levinas.









This group may help you think of the art more as a series.

4 comments:

  1. I like it, and I can see it fleshing out into an entire set - it has a distinct style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback, Eric! For your possible enjoyment, I added the art I just finished for Heidegger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin - I'm a high school philosophy teacher and would love to purchase/donate funds for your philosophy themed deck - will use them daily to sort students into groups and get them to respond from the perspective of their card... let me know @ccssphilosophy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brock, this is a long time coming, but I have completed these. Art is vastly improved, and I designed a "School of Athens" themed tuckbox. I put them on Etsy:

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/1021982345/philosophy-playing-cards?ref=shop_home_active_1

      Delete