Saturday, April 7, 2012

Even More Art for the Philosophy Themed Deck

UPDATED 07/20/2012: Started proofing the prototype and asked the POD a few printing questions. Improved some of the artwork. My wife thinks that my tuck box art is better than the Flammarion colored engraving and so I should just use it for the back as well. What do you think? I have it in the card back format below.
UPDATED 07/19/2012: Finished the tuck box art! The original part of the School of Athens that inspired this work is also posted here, so you can see how I tried to model the "new school" on the old one. I also placed the art in a rough template to get an idea of the look I am going for. Take a look below.
UPDATED 07/18/2012: Finished a good chunk of the tuck box art coloring. Finished placing cards in templates. All backgrounds completed (samples below).
UPDATED 07/17/2012: Finished sketch for tuck box art. I chose to recreate the School of Athens by Raphael. I only kept Aristotle, Plato, and Hypatia from the ancient Greeks, and added in Kant, Wittgenstein, Descartes, Husserl, Russell, Nietzsche, Thomas Aquinas, Heidegger, Kierkegaard, and Hume. I tried to pose them mostly correctly into the piece, and studied some clothing from the different time periods to place them in it. You will have to tell me what you think. Now, I need to vectorize and color it. Ugh, another 10 hours, here we come!
UPDATED 07/11/2012: Started putting art into card templates. Decided on quotes. Created card face backgrounds for ancient/medieval, modern, and analytic philosophers. Progress shown below.
UPDATED 07/10/2012: Added Hypatia and G. E. M. Anscombe. Replaced Austin with William James. Although I originally did not include James due to being unable to easily identify him in one of the camps, I compared his novel ideas and philosophical contributions and saw that they far outweighed J. L. Austin. It felt wrong to include Austin comparatively speaking, and so I stuck James in the analytic camp as his replacement. IMO, while James has definitely had influence in Continental philosophy, and his pragmatism is often a middle road, his scientific background makes him fit more in the analytic camp anyway. This concludes the portraits for philosophers! Now there is just color formatting, standardization, and creating the cards themselves. I also plan on doing an art for a tuckbox.
UPDATED 07/09/2012: Adjusted Card Back art (Flammarion engraving).
UPDATED 07/08/2012: Added the Brain in a Vat and Plato.
UPDATED 07/05/2012: Added new Merleau-Ponty. Worked on card content.
UPDATED 07/02/2012: Added Thales and Parmenides. Revised Aristotle.
UPDATED 07/01/2012: Further cleaning up and revision of continentals.
UPDATED 06/30/2012: Further cleaning up and revision of continentals.
UPDATED 06/29/2012: Added Peter Abelard.
UPDATED 06/28/2012: Further cleaning up and revision of continentals.
UPDATED 06/27/2012: Added Chrysippus and Euclid.
UPDATED 06/26/2012: Cleaned up line work and coloring on lots of philosophers. Also improved the quality of older artwork; the greeks and medievals were looking too good comparitively speaking! More will have to be done in the future.
UPDATED 06/25/2012: Added Anaximander and Augustine.
UPDATED 06/22/2012: Added Rudolf Carnap and Socrates.

This post I will continue to update with art work as I finish more drawings of philosophers, as mentioned in the prior post.

8 comments:

  1. The Genie is more evil-looking than I expected - well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still not quite pleased with the genie. I might have to redraw him somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rousseau is rockin' quite the 5 o'clock shadow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed; but when I look at the painting it seems that he does have the 5 o'clock shadow. See this image: http://www.abolitionist.com/rousseau.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Prof. Faulconer! I will definitely try to make Gadamer happier then. Both the Evil Demon (and a Brain in a Vat which I haven't yet converted to vector) will be the jokers in the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martin - I'm a high school philosophy teacher and would love to purchase/donate funds for your philosophy themed deck - will use them daily to sort students into groups and get them to respond from the perspective of their card... let me know @ccssphilosophy

    ReplyDelete